Friday, May 24, 2013

Old Candles to Glass Storage

There are some really beautiful candles out there. But apart from making your own candles with the glass jars, there isn't much to do once the candle burns out. Or is there?


What You Will Need:
Used up glass candle jars
Boiling water
Knife

Begin by taking your knife and cutting slits in the candle wax all the way to the bottom. Make sure you do a line around the outside of the candle to help the water get underneath the candle easier.


Put your boiling/extremely hot water in the candle and allow it to soak for several minutes. You can see that some of my candle is already floating to the top. Some of it won't float to the top however, so if you're getting a little impatient (I always am when it comes to waiting on crafting) just wait a few minutes and scrape the knife around the bottom again. Odds are it will come loose a lot quicker.

When you pour the water out of your container, please make sure not to pour the wax into your sink. Clogged pipes equal bad times, and who wants to explain the the plumber why there is candle wax lining your pipes?


My pictures didn't come out too clearly, unfortunately there is no natural light in my current kitchen. New house, why hast though taken so long to finish? But you can pretty much use these candle jars for anything now. I have some Wal-mart candle jars storing some green teas in my kitchen. It looks so neat to be able to see the teas I'm choosing instead of having them stored in a gross box stuffed in a cabinet.


And then I have a bigger candle jar storing some spring nail polishes in my room. It is a really cute way to have my frequently used polishes of the season out on display and right within my reach. As a mom I have limited time to paint and dry my nails, but as a 22-year old girl, I have a strong desire to have them painted. Sigh, its a constant battle.


I hope you guys enjoyed the tutorial! If you would like to see how I did the label on the nail polish jar check this post out! If you try these out please show me some pictures on instagram or twitter with the hashtag #thesaylors! I'd love to see some awesome ways you guys use your candles for storage.

1 comment:

  1. If you freeze candles for an hour and take them out, the wax pops right out! I just did it for like 80 different candles for my wedding. :)

    ReplyDelete