Tuesday, May 21, 2013

D.I.Y. Vinyl Lettering - No Machine!


So, unfortunately for me, Christmas passed before I learned of the magic little label genie called the Cricut. Boy howdy do I want one of those, but until the day I find two hundred dollar bills laying around I probably won't get one. So I have to get a little more crafty in my label-making abilities.

(I had already done the flour one as a tester before I did the rest)

So, there are several things around the house I wanted to add a little flair to. The first thing was these kitchen canisters. I got them for my wedding, and so far they've just been sitting on the top of the fridge (I have the smallest kitchen known to man, literally only two counters) and they look incredibly boring. So I wanted to add labels and make them look a little more organized.

So the first thing I did was to write out exactly what I wanted the labels to say and look like, thickness and everything. You can see where I messed up on the s for sugar a few times.

Then you need to cut out your little drawings.

After mine were cut out, I took scotch tape, and taped it face down to the back of the vinyl.

All that was left to do now was to cut around the paper and through the vinyl so the letters were cut out and ready to be stuck to things.

So at this point all I had to do was peel off the back of the vinyl and stick it to the clean surface I wanted it on! Yay!

I did all three canisters that are in use:


My doggies water and food bowl. Can you see the rain drops for water and the doggy bone for food?

And I put a cross on our still in progress first aid kit!

Are those cute or what! I can't wait to find more things to stick my labels on. I paid $7.99 for two large sheets of plain white vinyl at Hobby Lobby and it is one of my favorite craft purchases so far!


Disclaimer: I had this posted on an old blog of mine, That's Sew Crafty. I decided to move it over to my current blog. All images and words are my own.

3 comments:

  1. Jess, thanks for the tutorial! I don't have one of those fancy cutting machines either, and have been wanting to add labels similar to yours, to some things around the house. This seems totally doable for even me!! I do not have the best handwriting but thought about printing the letters/words in a fun font. I will give it a try one day and send you a pic.
    I would love to know where to find canisters with handles, like yours!! love them!!! thanks for your cute, inspirational blog. Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracy,
    Where else but Target! That place has everything that anyone could need, ever. Glad you liked the post! :)

    -Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. CPAP machine masks

    ReplyDelete