Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A Beginner's Attempt at Couponing: Week One

So we have all seen or heard about these crazy women who save oodles of noodles on their grocery bill just by using an insane amount of coupons. After we all heard about this hype, we realized they were buying the apocalypse's worth of deodorant and toothpaste. Which, lets face it, we need it but we don't need 54 containers from one trip. But there are also people who coupon and actually buy real stuff, and while they're not saving 99% of their bill, a dollar saved is a dollar saved.

So I want to figure out this couponing process and I am taking you guys along with me.

The first thing I did was buy the Sunday paper. I only bought one, because I didn't really know if I would actually be sticking to everything or if I'd take a glance at all the work ahead of me and give up. Plus, I still really don't get the whole process, so I figured this would be he easiest way to learn.

Then I got my coupon binder ready. This is apparently the biggest and funniest step in couponing. I didn't go all out yet though. I used a binder I already had and I happen to have two baseball card sleeves already. So rather then buying a bunch of stuff, I made due with what I already had so far. If I keep it up, ill definitely buy more and get a lot more specific with my categories.

As of right now I have each slot holding a certain category, although I put two for pantry thinking I would need it more. I didn't. But here are my categories (so far):

Fridge
Pantry (2)
Freezer
Baking
Cleaning
Pets
Body Care
Sides
First Aid
Storage
Oral Care
Dishes
Air Fresheners
Outdoor
Baby
Miscellaneous

Anything that fits under that category gets stuffed into the slot.

I have heard that when you first start clipping coupons you should cut every single one even if you know you'll never use it. That's great and all, but I don't have time to cut coupons for adult diapers (this was a coupon this week, no joke) so I just cut the ones I may have even the slightest interest in. Some I may never use, but who knows. I ended up with a pretty good little haul for only a two dollar paper.

I only go grocery shopping twice a month, so ill just be grabbing another paper this Sunday since I already have all my groceries until next Friday.

I've heard the best way to coupon is to wait until something is on sale, but I cannot wait to start pulling out some of my coupons and saving some money! Send me a picture of what your coupon system looks like or if you try mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment